Teeth extractions are a common procedure that is used for a variety of reasons. If you are having/have had teeth extracted, follow the guidelines below for a successful and speedy post-operative recovery:
Immediately After Extraction
- Allow the blood clot to form over the extraction area by biting on a gauze pad for 30-45 minutes immediately after the conclusion of the procedure.
- Use gauze pad for 30 minutes and then discard and replace until bleeding subsides.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, drinking through straws, or brushing the affected area for at least 7 days after the procedure; these activities can dislodge the newly formed blood clot and lead to excessive bleeding.
- Pain and swelling is common and can be controlled through the application of ice bags/towels to the area as well as taking the prescribed pain medication.
- Call our office if your pain medicine is not reducing your pain.
- Resume brushing your teeth 24 hours after surgery to help keep your mouth clean.
- Call our office if you are experiencing pain, heavy bleeding, or continued swelling after 2-3 days.