Before Intravenous Sedation
The following are some general rules you should look over before undergoing any procedure requiring the use of anesthesia.
- Do not eat or drink (water included) in the eight hours before your appointment.
- Cease smoking as soon as possible before the day of your procedure.
- You must be accompanied by an adult on the day of your procedure. They must remain in the office for the duration of the procedure to drive you home.
- Do not drive a vehicle or operate machinery for 24 hours after undergoing anesthesia.
- Wear loose fitting clothing on the day of your procedure (sleeves that can be rolled past the elbow and low-heeled shoes).
- Remove dentures, jewelry, and contacts before your procedure; do not wear lipstick, nail polish, or excessive makeup.
- Please notify the office if you are suffering from any illness on the day of your appointment.
- Notify your doctor of any routine oral medicines you may be taking prior to your surgery date; prescribed medications can be taken with a small amount of water unless otherwise notified by the office.
- Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Before Inhalation Sedation
- Curtail eating and drinking (with no dairy products) to a small meal up to two hours before your procedure appointment.
- Take your prescribed medications as normal unless otherwise directed by our office
- Contact our office as soon as possible if you wish to utilize a different sedation type for your procedure.
- Your accompanying adult must remain in the reception room until the completion of your procedure.